Friday, February 4, 2011

Football Friday!


Well, I meant to have a rundown of Senior Bowl news as it pertains to the Browns, but Mother Nature had other ideas. Since this is the last Friday of the football season, it's a good time to focus on the Super Bowl. As a Browns fan, I will be loyally wearing my cheesehead on Sunday and I hope the rest of Ohio will be doing the same. Well, I don't expect any of you to actually own a cheesehead but you get the point.
In the spirit of the Super Bowl, and due to my fanhood of Bill Simmons, I've been taking a look at some interesting gambling tidbits for the big game. The basic line is Packers by 2.5, last time I heard, and I would definitely take the Pack (you know, if gambling was legal). They have quite a few matchup advantages to exploit, chief among them being Aaron Rodgers. From taking a quick peek at their schedule, the only elite quarterbacks they've faced this season were Tom Brady and Drew Brees, and they lost both of those games. They have yet to face an "elite" QB in this offseason, with their wins coming against Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez. This may be pretty tenous, considering that the Steelers did beat Matt Ryan and Rodgers is only arguably an "elite" quarterback, but I'm sticking to it. Oh yeah, I really don't like the Steelers so that may be skewing my opinion.
Some other fun bets concerning the Super Bowl are whether B.J. Raji will appear in an offensive play (+140), points total of 71-75 (100/1), John Kuhn rushing for more than 5.5 yards (-115), and Aaron Rodgers winning Super Bowl MVP (+175). Until recently I had no idea that there were so many things to bet on, up to and including the length of the final word in the national anthem!
Coming back to more local goings-on, Colt McCoy is all set to be the full-time (and healthy!) starter next year. He says he was not fully recovered from the shoulder injury he suffered in his last college football game, but he will be ready to go for next season and he's preparing to be the starter. Considering how the quarterback situation has been handled for the last few years, this is welcome news for Browns fans. Stability at last?!
As always, stay tuned for more Browns news and notes and feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment