Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lockout Views, Carimi and Wilkerson at the Combine

Just when I think I've seen the slowest Eagles news day ever, the lockout comes closer. For anyone not up to speed on the latest NFL labor dispute, the ever-present CBA expires in about 48 hours, and we seem no closer to an agreement than we were in January. I've been thinking and reading about the lockout for so long, I may have lost perspective. I've decided the side that deserves my support are the players, and as I read more articles, blogs, appeals, and tweets, I become more convinced of this mindset. I was leaving work yesterday and I popped my head into one of the other classrooms to say hello to a friend and we started talking about the lockout. He was completely disinterested by my arguments for the players, and he made me realize that the this dispute is a fight between rich people. I'm still more sympathetic to the players, but this lockout is ridiculous. The one good that has come out of it is that we are all close to getting a degree in labor relations.

Don't think that the Eagles won't make moves as soon as this whole thing gets sorted out, but until then, there will be very little movement from the management. Joe Banner's a shrewd guy, no matter what you think about him, and he won't make moves that aren't very deliberate (i.e., tagging Vick and Akers). But when the time comes, watch for Ruben Amaro-esque moves coming from the Eagles president.

To switch gears, I'll talk a little about the Combine. Other Around Pro Football writers have discussed the Combine, so I'll keep my comments brief. I don't put a whole ton of stock in the Combine. While I see the merits, I look at it like an athletic SAT. I don't and won't judge a player on one week's worth of activities. That being said, one of my front-runners for an early round Eagles draft pick did well. Gabe Carimi, the offensive tackle from Wisconsin ran the 40 yard in 5.27, the kind of speed the Eagles could use on the O-line to help get to defensive lineman who break through and threaten to sack Vick. His 29 reps on the bench is no Stephen Paea, but still not shabby. I don't know if the Eagles should spend their first-round pick on Carimi, but he is definitely worth consideration.

Meanwhile, the person I do think the Birds should go for with their #23 pick, is Muhammad Wilkerson. His Combine showing may not have been the greatest, but I have a lot of faith in this guy. He showed good speed, running his 40 yard in 5.0, but many criticized his supposed inability to be versatile, but he's a solid fit in a 3-4 scheme, which is just what the Eagles need. Many have the mock drafts with the Eagles picking a cornerback, but I think the line is where a rookie would be most effective. Yes, this is partly due to desire to see Nnamdi Asmougha into Philly to complement Asante, but it's also partly due to the fact that the Eagles need to solidify their defensive line.

The rest of the week will bring both more Combine results and more lockout news. Stay with Around Pro Football for all the news.

Follow on Twitter: @asprice18

No comments:

Post a Comment