Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Additions to the Pride of the Jaguars?

Looks like the Jaguars are setting up a nice surprise for fans this season.  What am I talking about?  Well everyone's all-time favorite Strong Safety, Double-D or Donovan Darius signed a one day contract to retire as a Jaguar on Tuesday.  Darius would be a huge favorite to go up on the presently lonely one man Pride along side Tony Boselli.  Double-D was a fan favorite and is still regraded as the best Safety this franchise has ever had.  He personified the Jaguars attacking and hitting Defenses from 1998 when he was drafted until he left in 2006.

To see Darius go up would be even things out and make it a show for the Offense and Defense.  As much as Boselli was a key part of putting the Jaguars on the map; Darius made sure that opposing receivers remembered each game they played against him.

Now I know I failed to mention Paul Spicer's recent retirement as a Jaguar.  The reason is I don't think he was ever really a huge factor for the Jaguars.  Sure he had some good seasons, but do you really remember fans screaming when he ran threw the tunnel as they did with Double-D?  I didn't think so.  So I doubt we'll see him in the Pride of the Jaguars.

I'm sure we'll see more additions, and most of them will come from the Offensive side of the ball.  Look for Jimmy Smith to be added soon since he's been out of the league for going on 6 years now.  He would have been in sooner if not for his run-ins with the law.  I also see Fred Taylor going up as soon as he retires, which I think will be this year or next.  Mark Brunell may go up, but he's been gone so long that one can honestly ask if he'll want it.  When he's done coaching up Mark Sanchez in New York, I think he'll want it.  This is home for him.  I don't think we'll ever see Keenan McCardell up simply because he was the #2 receiver and he left Jacksonville for Tampa for money reasons.  That's usually not a way to endear yourself to the fans.

So, what do you think?  Do you think I'm right or totally off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment